Architect and its functions
Do you need an architect but don’t know how much he can help you? Today, we tell you what an architect is and what his functions are, so that from now on it will be clear to you how we can help you.
The functions of the architect.
From my experience as an architect, not only in my own studio, but also as a liberal professional collaborating with different companies, and even before that when I was in architecture school, society is still not very clear about the functions of an architect. This is something that many architects find surprising.
In general we love our profession so much that we do not realize how necessary it is to communicate to society how our work helps to improve cities, towns, gardens, squares, schools, hospitals, of course homes, etc.
He is not the first to tell me that “architects are useless! Look how I designed my house! You should know that architects are the professionals who are involved in the whole process of building (or planning, if it’s something urbanistic).
From the first stages of a construction project, which is known as the design stage or architectural project, which can begin with the development of ideas together with the client (agreeing and establishing the total budget that can be allocated to the future building, evaluating the needs of each family to adjust the design and the final result like a glove,
Advising on all the doubts that may arise to our customers), helping to choose professionals, builders, unions, analyzing the needs of staff or suppliers to the impact of such construction on the local environment.
In reality, architects are like composers and conductors, if we were looking for a parallel in music. We architects are like the composer and conductor
Bear in mind that nowadays there are an endless number of regulations that must be complied with: town planning, environmental, construction, etc.
Architectural projects must comply with each and every one of them. Architects work alongside contractors; they ensure that the work is carried out in accordance with the basic standards and regulations governing building, that the construction process is as sustainable and less polluting as possible, and that the final result is functional and aesthetically pleasing.
List of functions and works that can be carried out by an architect.
- Discuss the objectives, requirements and budget of an architectural or construction project.
- Coordinate other professionals in the design, project and construction of an environment or space.
- Prepare and present reports and information about the design characteristics to the client.
- Advise and accompany the client on the suitability and practicality of their ideas regarding their project. Clarify doubts, advise on the different stages of the process of design, project and construction of a future building.
- Advise on the selection of the ideal place to build and study the environment, its conditions and needs.
- Use information technologies in the design and projects, especially programs used in architecture.
- Advise and follow the design and construction process so that everything can be kept within the agreed budget and planned completion time.
- Prepare and produce all the necessary project documentation and work follow-up: legal compliance reports, detailed work on drawings, sketches, preparation of project plans and specifications, measurements and budget of the work, technical prescriptions to be fulfilled, etc.
- Specify the nature and quality of the materials to be used.
- Negotiate with contractors and other professionals.
- Prepare applications for planning and construction.
- Prepare documentation for contractors.
- Supervise and co-coordinate the work of contractors.
- Supervise and control the project from start to finish.
- Regularly visit the construction site to monitor progress to ensure that the project is moving forward and staying within budget.
- Ensure that the environmental impact of the project is kept to a minimum.
As you can see, we architects accompany our clients throughout the entire building process, from the first idea, that initial germ of the future home, to the last stone. As I said a while ago, we are the great conductors.
When you also live this with love and passion as I do, making models for each and every one of the projects, working the materials of each room of your future home through a moodboard, the result can not be other than a family really satisfied with a home made to measure.